I've signed up for some many -alongs and swaps that my head is spinning! One-Skein is just one of them, but I thought I'd post my answers to a questionairre here as well as by email.
1. Which yarn is most like your personality (you can be specific or general with your answer- brand, type, color, fiber, whatever)?a. Hmmm – most like my personality? This is a very hard question. I'm going to have to say that I'd be more like a basic wool in an ash-grey. I am shy and reserved until known, and then I can be a supporting agent, or I can pop out in high contrast.
2. What is your favorite color yarn to knit/crochet with?a. I love most any color except for Yellow. I'm drawn to the orange/pinks or blue/purple/green families.
3. Have you ever used variegated, or magic, yarns?a. Yes, and I love them! Koigu, w/ its short repeats is my favorite (almost no pooling) for non-socks, with any of the sock yarns that stripe running a close second!
4. Do you tend to favor certain fibers when choosing yarns?a. I do a lot of gift-knitting, so I think of the recipient when choosing yarn. Babies and children get cotton or acrylic, Grown-up women get alpaca or wool.
5. Do you prefer to work with center-pull or traditionally wound balls of yarn?a. Center pull yarn cakes! I love the ball winder and I'll have a swift soon.
6. Have you ever worked with organic yarns or are you interested in trying them?a. I'm not opposed to organic yarns, but I've never set out to specifically use organic yarns. I think all yarns have their pros and cons in their ecological roles today.
7. How many and what projects have you made in the last year?a. A pair of socks counts twice, right? OK, a pair of socks, a couple of spiral baby blankets, a square to contribute to another blanket, a Kiri Shawl, and a ton of fish.
8. Will you be knitting any gifts this year?a. Yes, Mom, Mother-in-Law, Sisters-in-law, something for the kids and something for DH. DH is getting an ear-flap hat, son #1 is getting a hat from tiger sock yarn, the rest are unplanned.
9. What is your favorite one skein project?a. My old time favorite is the garter washcloth. But I can also squeeze a small pair of socks from a single ball of yarn too!
10. How much yarn do you have in your stash and how do you store it?a. The husband will tell you I have too much, but I'd tell you not enough. I currently have enough for two sweaters and then many spare/one skeins.
11. Do you have a yarn in your stash that you love so much you can never
use it or part with it?a. I have yarns that I loved enough to buy, but they haven't told me what they want to be yet. I'm not scared of using any of it, just waiting for the right pattern!
12. Do you knit less or differently in the summer?a. I do smaller projects for increased portability, and things in cotton or linen to counteract the humidity.
13. Do you belong to any knitting groups (online or offline)?a. Knitty (tm) Chat, Knitty (tm) Coffeeshop and a local Sit n Stitch
14. Pal, please confirm for me your mailing address (some East Coast zip codes may have lost the beginning Zero value and appear as four digits, and some pals were in the process of moving when they registered).a. Not here, but in e-mail!